The Ultimate Gift Guide for Ferment Lovers
Do you have that person on your holiday gift list that has everything? Maybe they could use something to encourage their interest in fermenting foods. Or, if they are already a ferment lover, they could always use more supplies or books on the subject. In this ultimate gift guide for ferment lovers, Kristi has compiled a list of everything from tools to books to ingredients. I’m sure you will find something here for your hard-to-buy-for loved one.
Posted by Kristi
What do you give someone who loves to ferment? A fermenter can always use more tools and supplies for fermenting. Whether they are just beginning or they are a pro, they would love to receive anything on this list.
Ask your ferment lover what their favorite thing to ferment is. It will help you get a better idea of what to buy them.
Ultimate Gift Guide for Ferment Lovers
• This Handmade Wooden Tamper will make pounding the cabbage for sauerkraut all the easier.
• Mason jars, big and small we’ll take them all!
• Glass weights, we can always use more weights!
• Salt, not just any salt, but an amazing quality salt like this Himalayan salt.
• Airlocks – There can never be too many. I suggest buying one of the kits below…
• Cheesecloth – some fermenters like to use a cheesecloth to cover their jars.
• Grolsch Flip-top Bottles are the best for bottling your kombucha or tepache.
• While we believe Mason jars make the perfect fermenting vessel, this Fermenting Crock looks beautiful on your countertop.
• Starter set – Everything you need to start fermenting, this set is for the beginner or occasional fermenter.
• Set of 6 – Get your ferment lover a set of 6 so they can ferment 6 things at once!
• Set of 12 – Or go for the gold, so they can ferment 12 things at once! After all, what do you do when 10 cabbages come in from the garden?
• This Beer Fermenting Kit has all you need to get brewing, including a glass carboy for secondary fermentation.
• This Wine Making Kit is one of the most complete kits you will find.
• This Cheesemaking kit contains everything you need to turn 20-25 gallons of milk into wonderful cheese. Complete with an instructional DVD, it already comes boxed for gift giving.
Starter Cultures Gift Ideas
• From Florida Sun Kefir, this 1/4 pound of Water kefir grains is gluten-free, non-GMO, and free of fluoride.
• Buy these active, organic Milk Kefir grains and get Milk Kefir Unleashed, an e-book by Thomas Egbert, free.
• Scoby – for making kombucha.
• Sourdough starter from Breadtopia, complete with written instructions to make wonderful sourdough bread.
• Eight packets of Cheese starter cultures will make plenty of cottage cheese, cream cheese, chevre and more.
• When you buy this Yogurt starter you get free access to 155-page Yogurt eBook including 30 recipes plus hundreds of more articles, recipes, and how-to videos.
Books on Fermentation
Fermenting enthusiasts always enjoy reading what others are culturing in their kitchens and gathering new recipes for their own.
• Wild Fermentation, by Sandor Katz
• Fermented Vegetables, by Kirsten and Christopher Shockey
• Mastering Fermentation, by Mary Karlin
• The Art of Fermentation, by Sandor Katz
• Fermented, by Charlotte Pike
Of course all of the following are available for purchase, fresh, from your local farmers market or grocer.
Fruit & Vegetables – peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, onions, garlic, carrots, cranberries, lemons, limes, oranges etc…
Other items may include: meat, dairy & herbs to season the ferments with.
Let your ferment lover know they should make some fermented hummus to bring to the holiday dinner. You won’t be sorry! It goes great with tortilla chips and vegetables such as celery, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers and so much more! It also goes well on a cracker with some cheese and olives slices.
If you have questions, please leave us a comment! We will be happy to help you pick out the perfect gift for that fermenter in your life!
Don’t forget, you can never have too many sets of Fermentools. Because when all that cabbage comes ready in the garden at the same time, or the grocery has an incredible sale on carrots, you will be glad you bought the 12-Pack, or more.
Kristi is the blog owner of HomesteadWishing.com She is a wife and mother of three wonderful boys. She loves to write about food, children & parenting, tips and tricks, and survival information.