Chicken Salad Recipe w/ Fermented Celery
Posted by Kristi
A great way to use fermented vegetables is to add them to salads and other recipes. Fermented celery makes this classic chicken salad just a little jazzy. This is a very simple chicken salad recipe and it is easy to make. You don’t have to use fermented celery, you can just wash and cut fresh celery and add it instead if you’d rather.
Let’s talk about the kind of chicken to use. You could use a great recipe such as mediterranean chicken, which is very easy to make and is extremely flavorful. Or you could just cook up a couple of of boneless/skinless chicken breasts. You can buy a whole roasted chicken or roast one yourself, which may take a bit more work but the taste will be really amazing. For the least amount of work, if you are in a hurry you can use canned chicken. It works well in chicken salad and it cuts down on a lot of the work for you.
If you use the mediterranean recipe or the plain chicken breast, just cut it into strips or bite-sized pieces. For a roasted chicken, pull the meat off the bone and remove the skin, cut into bite-sized pieces. Canned chicken will need to be drained.
Cook/Prepare/Care for food properly.
• 1 lb. chicken, prepared to your liking and cut into stripes or bite-sized pieces
• ½ cup pecan halves
• 1 cup fermented celery, or fresh celery
• 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ cup mayonnaise, or more if needed
• pinch of salt and pepper to taste
• parsley for garnish *optional
- Combine all the ingredients except for the salt and pepper in a large bowl. If you think it needs more mayonnaise, go ahead and add some.
- Mix everything very well, and give it a little taste then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill before serving.
- Place leftovers in the refrigerator.
Chicken salad makes a fantastic sandwich and even a wrap with a little lettuce and tomato. I made a chicken kimchi salad sandwich and it was amazing! You could also add it as a side to almost any meal. Of course, you could add it to a green salad, too. Maybe throw it in a pita with some cheese.
What is your favorite way to eat chicken salad?